About the Residency
Initially established under the sponsorship of Wayne State University in 2009, the program transitioned to Beaumont Health on 7/1/2018. We are a categorical (4 year) program, with 4 residents per year. Our clinical mission is to advance the field of musculoskeletal and rehabilitation medicine through education of medical students, residents, other health professionals, and the public in general; a process which quality improvement and population health research, as well as excellent patient care, while improving the quality of life for individuals with disabilities.
Robust brain injury medicine and trauma rehabilitation exposure. Beaumont Hospital-Taylor has a specialized neurotrauma unit (14 beds) dedicated to caring for those with significant neurologic injuries.
- We are centrally located from two Level 2 trauma centers.
- Strong orthopedic and stroke rehabilitation exposure. With 48 beds on the general and neurological rehabilitation unit, residents get exposure to various neurologic and musculoskeletal pathology.
- Home call with house physician coverage overnight for assistance.
- Abundant spine, EMG, and botulinum toxin procedures.
- Past residents have obtained highly coveted fellowships at prestigious universities, including Brain Injury Medicine fellowship at Harvard and Georgetown University; Spine fellowship at Cleveland Clinic; and Sport Medicine fellowship at Mayo Clinic.
- A guided, multi-year quality improvement curriculum designed to assist residents in creating, developing and implementing their ideas for change. The goal is for the residents to perform multiple cycles of quality improvement, leading to regional and national presentations.
- We pride ourselves in being inclusive as we understand that having a diverse training environment promotes cultural competency, compassion, and empathy. Our residents are of various ethnicity, faith, and are from various states and countries. Our residents have no trouble calling Dearborn and its surrounding area home as the region is surrounded by multi-cultural restaurants and events.