Behavioral Health - 1 month
During this rotation you will work with psychiatrists, psychologists, and other behavioral science faculty. You will learn how to diagnose and manage the common psychiatric problems that often present in the primary care setting. These include anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, anorexia nervosa, and bulimia as well as the various personality disorders. You will also learn to manage common psychiatric disorders in children. You will learn about behavioral modifications therapies used to treat a variety of different disorders.
Our residency program reflects Beaumont's commitment to the community. Many of our faculty are engaged in offering services at various sites in the community. Residents work closely with them, as well as other community representatives during this rotation. During your time with us you will develop an appreciation of the physician's role in the health of the community and develop a more complete understanding of your patients.
Here are some of the many activities in which you will be involved
- caring for children and adolescents at our outreach clinics in local elementary and high schools
- ensuring the safety of high school athletes at their various sporting events
- working with women and children at a local domestic violence center
- learning about community resources for the under or uninsured
- working with employees at the local Ford Motor Company Plants as part of our occupational health curriculum
- these, combined with many other elective opportunities ensure a well-rounded community exposure