Exceptional EM training in a hybrid academic and community setting that prepares residents to become outstanding clinicians and future leaders.
- to educate physicians in the diagnosis, treatment and disposition of patients with acute illness and injury
- to provide the resident with the skills to analyze the medical literature and perform original research
- to incorporate the resident into the administrative, emergency medical services and legal activities of the emergency department
- to involve the resident in the training of medical students, patient safety and quality improvement
- to develop leaders in the field of Emergency Medicine
Patient populationBeaumont Hospital, Royal Oak
treated over 128,000 (approx. 24,000 pediatric) emergency department visits in 2017. It is the busiest single emergency department in the state of Michigan and the only American College of Surgeons designated level 1 trauma center for Oakland County. Beaumont has ACGME-accredited residencies in more than 25 specialties and sub-specialties. The emergency department is staffed at all times with board-certified attending emergency medicine physicians and emergency nurses. Ancillary services are outstanding, with sophisticated laboratory and radiology services, including emergency CT scanning, ultrasonography and angiography. A full spectrum of adult and pediatric intensive services are present within the institution.