The Cytopathology Fellowship is integrally associated with the AP/CP Pathology Residency. The Fellow actively participates in teaching the Pathology residents, medical students and other clinical residents and fellows during sign-out on the multi-headed microscope.
Sign-out responsibilities for the Cytopathology fellow are graduated and based on their level of experience. The main responsibilities in Cytopathology involve active participation in the daily sign-out of Cytology cases (gynecologic, non-gynecologic, and fine needle aspirations), and interpretation of "rush" FNA cases submitted from Diagnostic Radiology and the operating room. In addition, fellows prepare and interpret sentinel lymph node scrapings.
The fellow actively participates in:
- Cytopathology laboratory management and quality assurance activities.
- Thoracic and Head and Neck Tumor Boards.
- Cytology Consensus Conference.
- Cytology Unknown Slide Conference.
- Weekly anatomic pathology unknown slide conference.