Exceptions to these criteria may be considered if a current Beaumont Internal Medicine Residency Assistant Director, Associate Director or Program Director initiates sponsorship of candidate. Sponsorship requires that said Director and candidate have a sufficiently meaningful relationship so that the Director can supply a Sponsor’s letter of recommendation.
- This letter must specifically and concretely
- illustrate the candidate’s exceptional achievement (academic or otherwise) and exceptional knowledge, skills and/or behavior
- explain the candidate’s failure to meet the usual eligibility criteria
The Program Director (or Associate Program Director, in the case of PD sponsorship) will review the sponsor’s letter of recommendation and offer (or not) an interview at his/her discretion.
Once granted an interview, candidates are assessed on several attributes
- medical school training (LCME vs. foreign medical school)
- USMLE scores
- letters of recommendation
- research experience
- community involvement & volunteer commitments
- previous work experienc