Our program trains exceptional Internal Medicine and Pediatrics physicians who can work in a multitude of settings including hospital medicine, primary care, subspecialties and academics. Situated in the vibrant city of Royal Oak, we provide unique opportunities for patient advocacy, community engagement, resident wellness and professional development. The size of our program and on-site combined clinic creates a strong Med-Peds identity, referred to by our residents as their “Med-Peds family”.
Training at Beaumont Royal Oak offers resident physicians:
- A perfect blend of academic and community pediatrics providing the ideal training environment
- A culturally and economically diverse patient population from a large area. Many of the patients under the care of our residents are underserved
- Superb teaching and ample hands-on experience with direct supervision
- Exclusive teaching hospital of Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine and long-standing affiliation with Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Formal education in teaching skills using the Stanford University Residents as Teachers curriculum
- Evidence based medicine curriculum throughout all four years led by McMaster University trained faculty
- A state-of-the-art simulation center
The program has been carefully planned to allow physicians to attain the goal of practicing as a combined internist/pediatrician. They are challenged to care for patients of all ages under the supervision of senior residents and capable attending physicians,
from the NICU to the Geriatric Clinic. Clinical material may seem immense but under the guidance of Medicine/Pediatrics practitioners one will learn disease processes as a continuum.
Knowledge of medicine is important, but this program provides much more. Residents participate in training designed to perfect skills essential to the art of medicine, including:
- Health literacy and communication skills
- Cultural competence
- Motivational Interviewing
- Stanford University Residents as Teachers curriculum
- High value care
At the completion of the residency, one will be capable of caring for any age patient in or out of the hospital and be ready to practice in our system of medical care as it exists today.