The Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine fellow will provide clinical and administrative support for Transfusion Medicine services in a pattern of graduated responsibility under the supervision of the Medical Director or Associate Blood Bank Director.
Following their initial orientation to the Transfusion Medicine service, the fellow will have the following responsibilities:
- attend and actively participate in morning blood bank rounds, the fellow shares responsibility for transfusion reaction evaluations with pathology residents on the service
- provide consultation/guidance to Blood Bank technical and clerical personnel concerning specimen and requisition acceptability
- shares responsibility for the work-up and clinical write-ups for all new antibody identification panels
- shares responsibility for reviewing appropriate RHIG administration with pathology residents on the service
- evaluate and approve requests for selected and specialized blood components
- evaluate and approve requests for crossmatch and/or HLA-matched apheresis platelets