The Beaumont Hospital, Dearborn Diagnostic Radiology Residency Program, in existence since 1971, has been an established, well-respected training facility for radiologist for five decades
- The program centered in Dearborn, Michigan has been piloted by the private Radiology Group of Drs. Harris, Birkhill, Wang, Songe and Associates (HBWS), a 45 member multi-specialty practice since its inception
- This program maintains a "small program" feel while also exploiting the benefits of association with our university affiliation, offering a unique educational experience
- Beaumont, Dearborn offers an excellent coordinated transitional year designed to enhance the new physician skills in areas most complimentary to radiology
First year residents
- attend a series pf orientation lectures designed to teach radiologic basics with an emphasis on emergency radiology
- these lectures are an excellent addition to the comprehensive reading material
- residents rotate through all subspecialty areas of radiology
- residents and staff function as a team
- a senior is matched with a junior resident on all rotations with direct supervision from a staff radiologist
- there are no fellows in the program so “hands on” experience which increases with the residents comfort and experience in that area
- monthly rotating medical students provide opportunity for teaching and reinforce the resident’s newly acquired knowledge obtained during daily read out sessions
Residents are required to participate in research and quality initiative projects throughout their tenure here. A research night is conducted annually in January at which all residents present their work for the year.
Upper level residents are encouraged and given the ability to engage in extracurricular, moonlighting opportunities.
The program has a strong reputation in placing our residents into national renowned fellowships and has provided many previous graduates the opportunity to stay on as staff physicians.