Participation in clinical or basic science research is a requirement of the fellowship. A wide variety of hematopathology research opportunities are available particularly in the areas of molecular diagnostics, flow cytometry and cytogenetics. All fellows are required to submit an abstract to the annual Resident and Fellow Research Forum competition hosted by Beaumont's Research Institute. Presentation of research at regional and national conferences is recommended. Elective time for research is an integral part of the program.
Research Accomplishments 2016
Peer reviewed articles
David JA, Huang JZ. Diagnostic utility of flow cytometry analysis of reactive T cells in nodular lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Jan;145(1):107-15. 26712878
Edupuganti S, Xie C, Huang JZ, Chen X, Wey E, Xie M. Clinicopathological features of primary bone marrow mature T and NK cell neoplasms. J J Cancer Sci Res. 2016; 2(7):046.
Gjeorgjievski M, Makki I, Khanal P, Amin MB, Blenc AM, Desai T, Cappell MS. Early, isolated duodenal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma presenting without symptoms or grossly apparent endoscopic lesions and diagnosed by random duodenal biopsies. Case Rep Gastroenterol.
2016 Jun 27;10(2):323-31. 6/2016 27482191.
*HaberichterK, Crisan D, Micale MA. ALK-negative anaplastic large T-cell lymphoma with a complex karyotype and DUSP22 gene rearrangement. CAP Today 2016;30(9), 49-54.
Huang JZ, Braziel RM, Fan G, Staudt LM and Chan WC. The Diagnostic Significance of lmmunoglobulin Light Chain Gene Expression Signatures by Gene Expression Profiling for 8-Cell Lymphoma2016. Remedy Open Access - Pathology 2016 26 Jul, 2016,1 :Article 1010
Leeborg N, Loriaux Mand Huang JZ. Aggressive T-cell Large Granular Lymphocytic Leukemia
Presenting as an EBV Negative Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder. Clinics in Oncology.
'W 16 May 30, 1 :Article 1007
Micale MA, Embrey B IV, Macknis JK, Harper ED, Aughton DJ. Constitutional 560.49 kb
chromosome 2p24.3 duplication including the MYCN gene identified by SNP chromosome Microarray analysis in a child with multiple congenital anomalies and bilateral Wilm's tumor. Eur J Med Genet.
2016 Oct 26;59(12):618-23. Pii: S1769-7212(16)30119-7.
Ogunleye F, Ibrahim M, Allen E, Brennan N, Huang J, Yu J, Huben Mand Jaiyesimi I. BCR-ABL Testing by Polymerase Chain Reaction in Patients With Neutrophilia: The William Beaumont Hospital Experience and the Case for Rational Laboratory Test Requests. Journal of Oncology Practice 12,
no. 12 (December 2016) e1001-e1005.
Tagami T, Alhalabi 0, *Ward N; Huang J, Paraneoplastic Dermatosis in a Patient with Anaplastic
Large Cell Lymphoma:Case Report and Literature Review. Dermatopathology, 2016;3:39-43.
Yu Z, Ogunleye F, Blankenship LM, Ward N, Ezekwudo DE, Stender M, Gaikazian SS, Huang JZ and Jaiyesimi I: Plasma Cell Leukemia Presenting with SpontaneousTumor Lysis Syndrome: Report of a Rare Case and Literature Review. Ann of Hematol & Oneal 2016 3(12), id 1125
Book chapter or full book publications
Cunningham MT and Smith MD. "Prolonged Prothrombin Time." An algorithmic approach to
iernostasis testing. 2nd ed. Kandice Kottke-Marchant. Illinois: College of American Pathologists,
Huang JZ, Chen N, and Press R. Molecular Methodologies and Molecular Pathology of
Hematolymphoid Neoplasms. In: Cheng, L, Bostwick, DG, eds, Essentials of Anatomic Pathology.
4nd ed. Springer, 2016.
Kottke-Marchant Kand Smith MD. "The value of consultation in hemostasis testing." An algorithmic approach to hemostasis testing. 2nd ed. Kandice Kottke-Marchant. Illinois: College of American Pathologists, 2016. 357-372.
Smith MD and Chandler WL. "Fibrinolysis System Physiology." An algorithmic approach to hemostasis testing. 2nd ed. Kandice Kottke-Marchant. Illinois: College of American Pathologists,
Smith MD and Moser KA. "Heparin induced thrombocytopenia." An algorithmic approach to hemostasis testing. 2nd ed. Kandice Kottke-Marchant. Illinois: College of American Pathologists,
Abstracts with associated research presentations
Edupuganti S, Xie C; Huang JZ, Chen X, Wey E. Xie M. Clinicopathological features of primary bone marrow mature T and NK cell neoplasms. College of American Pathologists (CAP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 25-28, 2016.
i::eng J, Zhang PL, Hysell CK, Qu ZH, Micale MA. Definitive cytogenetic confirmation of a Jesmoplastic small round cell tumor (DSRCT) in a initially unclassifiable malignant epithelioid neoplasm of small bowel of a 20 year old man: A case report. American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 14-16, 2016. (poster).
*Gabbard A, **Singh R, *Toushan M, Boyanton B, Smith MD, Huang J. Biclonal splenic marginal zone lymphoma, T-cell rich variant. College of American Pathologists (CAP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 25-28, 2016.
*Haberichter K, Huang S, Huang J. Flow cytometry analysis of recurrent or persistent lymphadenopathy in patients with nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin lymphoma. Presented as a poster at 31st International Clinical Cytometry Meeting, Bonita Springs, FL, 2016
Huang J. A New Active Learning Activity in Pathology Rotation of Diagnostic Medicine Clerkship: Complete a Death Certificate and Present at Diagnostic Morbidity and Mortality Conference, Presented as a poster at Association of Pathology Chairs Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, July 12-
**Singh R, Chen C, Huang J, Smith MD. Plasma cell myeloma: Impact of bone marrow erythropoiesis on prognostic markers. College of American Pathologists (CAP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 25-28, 2016.
**Singh RI, *Gabbard A, Micale M, Huang J, Smith MD. Concurrent bone marrow involvement by
Jlasma cell myeloma and mantle cell lymphoma: A rare finding. College of American Pathologists
(CAP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 25-28, 2016.
Thompson BJ, Barremkala M, Raoof A, Attardi S, Blenc A, Hajj-Hussein I, Forbes W, Gould D,
Venuti J. Use of an Anatomy eBook To Document and Discuss Anatomical Variation. American
Association of Anatomists Annual Meeting, Experimental Biology, San Diego CA 2016.
“Toushan M, Zhang PL, Hysell CK, Kannan HD, Micale MA. Effective cytogenetic diagnosis of synovial sarcoma on touch preparation slides proves to be time/cost-effective. American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 14-16, 2016. case report (poster).
Posters and Published Abstracts
Micale MA, Embrey B, Hubbell K, Beaudry-Rodgers K, Whitten A. Prenatal identification of two discontinuous maternally-inhertited chromosome 7q36.3 microduplications totaling 507kb including the SHH gene in a fetus with multiple congenital anomalies. American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL, March 8-12, 2016.
Ogunleye F, lbhahim M, Blackenship L, Yadav S, Micale MA, Dougles V, lfabiyi T, Anderson J, Stender M, Huben M, Quiroz E, Gaikazian S, Jaiyesimi I. Analysis of genomic aberrations and its impact on survival in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) at Beaumont Hospital Cancer Center. American Society of Hematology (ASH) Meeting on Hematologic Malignancies, Chicago, IL September 16-17, 2016.
Zhang PL, Hysell CK, Kanaan HD, Micale MA. The effective use of molecular cytogenetic (FISH) analysis on touch preparation slides permits a timely diagnosis of synovial sarcoma: Lessons learned.
American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 14-16,
Zhang PL, Hysell CK, Qu ZH, Micale MA. Definitive cytogenetic confirmation of a desmoplastic small round blue cell tumor (DSRCT) in the small bowel of 20-year-old man. American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, September 14-16, 2016. Case report.
Research accomplishments 2015Peer reviewed articles
- Bostic G, Thompson R, Atanasoski S, Canlas C, Ye H, Kolins M, Smith MD. Quality improvement in the coagulation laboratory: reducing the number of insufficient blood draw specimens for coagulation testing. Lab Med 2015; 46:347-355. HIC# 2014-277.
- *Cotrell A, **Sayedian F, Huang M, Chen X, Xie M,Smith MD, Huang JZ. Flow cytometric analysis of cell size in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: reliability and potential diagnostic significance. Int J Pathol Clin Res 2015; 1:1-6. HIC# 09-096.
- David JA , Huang JZ. Diagnostic Utility of Flow Cytometry Analysis of Reactive T-cells in Nodular Lymphocyte-Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma, Am J Clin Pathol 2016;145:107-115. HIC# 2013-175
- **Kumar T, Fennell T, Zhang PL. Eighteen-months may be a reliable storage period for direct immunofluorescent slides of renal biopsies at room temperature. J Clin Nephrol Ren Care. 2015, 1:1-5. HIC: 2012-109
- Smythe MA, Forsyth LL, Warkentin TE, Smith MD, Sheppard JI, Shannon F. Progressive, fatal thrombosis associated with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia following cardiac surgery despite “therapeutic” anticoagulation with argatroban: potential role for PTT and ACT confounding. J Cardiothoracic and Vasc Anes 2015; 29(5):1319-21. (Based on case report; no HIC review required)
- **Cosner, D, Uzieblo A, Nelson ML, Blenc AM, Fennell T. Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm. American Society of Dermatopathology, San Francisco, CA, October 8-11, 2015 (poster presentation).
- **Haberichter K, Crisan D. Green neutrophilic inclusions and acute hepatic failure. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 139; pubished on line, 2015. Poster at CAP Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN, October 4-7, 2015.
- Hajj Hussein I, Barremkala M, Thompson B, Gould D, Hankin M, Forbes W, Blenc AM, Amin M, Venuti J. Integrating Histology, Gross Anatomy and Histopathology in a Case Based Approach to Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Experimental Biology, Boston, MA, March 28 – April 1, 2015 (oral presentation).
- Huang JZ, Young MR, Misra L, VanHulle R. Putting the Pieces Together: A Curriculum Designed to Integrate the Imaging and Laboratory Findings of a Symptomatic Patient. Poster presentation at AAMC CGSA/CGEA Joint Regional Meeting, Columbus, OH, April 9-12, 2015. HIC# NA.
- Huang JZ. Assessment of 4th Year Medical Student’s Competency in Diagnostic Workup for Anemia and Lymphadenopathy Prior to Diagnostic Medicine Clerkship. Poster presentation in OUWB 4th Annual William Davidson Medical Education Week, Birmingham MI, May 18-20, 2015. HIC# NA.
- Huang JZ. Mandatory Pathology Rotation within Diagnostic Medicine Clerkship for All Medical Students: Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine’s Experience, Oral Presentation at Association of Pathology Chairs 2015 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, July 14-17, 2015. HIC# NA
- **Kumar T, Fennell T, Zhang PL. Eighteen-months may be a reliable storage period for direct immunofluorescent slides of renal biopsies at room temperature. ASCP Pathologist Meeting (poster), Oct 28 - Oct 30, 2015, Long Beach, CA HIC 2012-109.
- Ogunleye F, Huang JZ, Mohammed I, Allen E, Brennan N, Jaiyesimi I. TX, Diagnostic Significance of Screening for BCR-ABL1 by PCR in Patients with Neutrophilia. The William Beaumont Hospital experience. Poster presentation at Society of Hematologic Oncology 2015 Annual Meeting, Houston, September 16-19, 2015. Proceedings of the Society of Hematologic Oncology 2015 Annual Meeting. Clinical Lymphoma Myeloma and Leukemia.2015; 15, S2:S33. HIC# 2014-314
- *Sikdar S, Prada A, Crisan D. Calreticulin mutation in JAK2 V617F negative myeloproliferative neoplasms - The Beaumont experience. Modern Pathology 28: Suppl 2, 378, 2015. Poster at USCAP Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, March 21-27, 2015. HIC-2014-234