The goal of the fellowship is to educate and train specialists in Geriatric Medicine who will be able to provide comprehensive care for elderly patients across the health care continuum. Fellows completing the program are expected to be able to manage a broad spectrum of geriatric syndromes, be well-versed in regulatory and reimbursement issues in health care for the elderly, have a solid understanding of the physiology of aging, and understand study design and statistical analysis used for research or quality improvement initiatives.
The Geriatric Care Center at Beaumont Hospital ranked 23rd (out of top 50 hospitals) in prestigious U.S. News & World Report - Best Hospitals lists published in 2015.
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak is a high volume 1070 bed hospital with an Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) unit
- 5 affiliated nursing homes (subacute rehabilitation and long-term care beds) with our teaching faculty as medical directors
- 10 fellowship trained faculty
- Most faculty hold appointments at the OUWB School of Medicine
- Teach and supervise residents and medical students during rotations
- Opportunities for bench and clinical research
- Attend and present at national meetings
- Work toward Certified Medical Director (CMD) during fellowship as well as CAQ in Geriatric Medicine
- 12 month fellowship
- 3 positions available