The overall educational goal of the cardiovascular disease fellowship program at Beaumont Hospital, Dearborn is to provide comprehensive training in general cardiology that meets or exceeds the standards promulgated by both the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and specified in the following documents: the ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Cardiovascular Disease (Internal Medicine) and the ACC 2015 Core Cardiovascular Training Statement (COCATS 4). As stated in the former document, the fellowship program’s goals are to assure the provision of safe and effective care to the individual patient, to assure that each fellow develops the skills, knowledge, and attitudes required to enter the unsupervised practice of cardiology, and to establish a foundation for continued professional growth.
The ultimate goal of the program is to provide the fellows with an educational experience that fosters attainment of the following ACC-defined Entrustable Professional Activities
- Cardiovascular Consultation
- initially evaluate, diagnose, and develop a treatment plan for patients at risk for or with cardiovascular disease
- Acute Cardiac Care
- manage acute cardiac conditions, including management of team-based care
- Chronic Cardiovascular Disease
- Management manage chronic cardiovascular diseases, including direction of team-based care
- Cardiovascular Testing
- utilize cardiovascular testing
- Disease Prevention and Risk Factor Control
- carry out disease prevention and risk factor control measures, addressing morbidities
- Lifelong Learning
- engage in lifelong learning
The cardiovascular disease fellowship training program strives to provide the fellows with an educational curriculum that is based on the six core competencies as defined by the ACGME: medical knowledge, patient care, systems-based practice, practice-based learning and improvement, professionalism, and interpersonal and communication skills.
Learn more regarding the Cardiology Fellowship Program’s Educational Curriculum.