The curriculum of the Vitreoretinal Fellowship program follows the guidelines for vitreoretinal fellowships developed by the American Society of Retinal Specialists, Macula Society and The Retina Society. These guidelines serve as a framework for the ongoing process for developing criteria for fellowship training.
A component of the fellowship training is hands on experience with the surgical management of vitreoretinal diseases. This includes the
- management of elective vitreoretinal surgical cases
- vitreoretinal conditions requiring emergency intervention
Surgical techniques include scleral buckling procedures and a variety of vitrectomy techniques. The surgical experience provided to the fellows considerably exceeds the minimal requirements developed by the ASRS, Macula Society and The Retina Society.
- fellows gain considerable experience in ocular oncology, primarily in the management of choroidal melanoma
- training is also provided in laser therapy for retinal conditions including
- diabetic retinopathy
- choroidal neovascularization
- choroidal melanoma
- retinopathy of prematurity
- modalities include
- conventional thermal laser
- photodynamic therapy