The Karmanos Center for Natural Birth provides a supportive, home-like environment for expectant mothers looking for a safe natural childbirth experience. With nurses and caregivers that are trained in holistic birth approaches, you can expect to be prepared with the education and relaxation techniques needed to experience the benefits of a natural childbirth.
In addition to providing six private suites designed to enable a mind-body connection, our care team works with you to create a customized birth plan, ensuring you’re empowered to be an active participant of your birth experience. Along with the most preferred obstetricians in Michigan, you’ll also have the most experienced team of neo-natal specialists, just in case.
Some of the features offered for extra comfort during labor include:
- specially trained nurses who are well equipped to help mothers navigate natural childbirth in a safe and supportive environment
- holistic techniques to manage your comfort during labor including hydrotherapy, aromatherapy, massage, and position-changing tools such as birthing balls
- an indoor walking path and a beautiful, outdoor walkable garden that promote movement during labor
- large hydrotherapy tubs for use during labor
- a designated baby care area, which allows your newborn to room-in with you at all times
- a warm, soothing design for a restful, home-like environment
- bathrooms with spa-like finishes and massaging shower heads
- cozy furniture including sleeper sofas for loved ones who will join you during your stay
- flat screen televisions, complimentary Wi-Fi and CD players with iPod docking stations for your personal music selection
- personal refrigerators
- a private waiting room for friends and family
Schedule a tour
For more information or to schedule a tour, call 248-898-5574.
Find a doctor
For a referral to a Beaumont obstetrician who delivers in the Karmanos Center for Natural Birth, call 800-633-7377.
You will stay in your private suite from the time you arrive until you go home with your new baby. Most women who have a natural delivery are able to leave the hospital within 24 hours. During your stay, we encourage bonding by keeping your baby in the room at all times. Each suite is designed to make this as easy as possible, with a separate baby spa area equipped with everything needed to care for your baby in the room. You will receive one-on-one attention from a nurse who is available to answer your questions, offer instructions on feeding and help you adjust to your new baby.
Once you’re home, you are welcome to call one of our nurses, or your doctor, anytime during those first few weeks to ask important questions. If you’re a first-time mother, you will receive a follow-up call a couple of days after your return home.
Is natural birth right for me?
Many women are interested in having a more natural birth experience, and we encourage you to explore your options early in your pregnancy to see what’s right for you. However, a safe delivery for both you and your baby is our number one priority, so there may be some medical conditions or complications that require you to deliver in more traditional birthing suite, including:
- early term to late term (37 to 42 weeks)
- low-risk pregnancy
- complete natural childbirth preparation
- agree to be transferred to a traditional labor and delivery room in the Karmanos Birth Center if needed
- no natural childbirth preparation
- any condition for which continuous fetal monitoring is needed
- any circumstance for which the patient’s physician or caregiver does not deem natural birth appropriate
- desire/need for an epidural
- significant obstetrical or fetal complications or risk factors
- significant maternal medical conditions
Regardless of where you deliver, Beaumont’s specially trained staff will support your desire to have the most natural birth possible.
Preparing for labor and delivery
Just like training to run a marathon, preparing for labor can improve your ability to manage discomfort. Beaumont provides the tools necessary to prepare during pregnancy through hands-on classes, an online education portal and mobile application, and one-on-one support from our nursing staff and physicians.
Meeting with our nurse liaison: If you plan to deliver in the Karmanos Center for Natural Birth, we ask that you connect with our nurse liaison at around 28 weeks to develop your birth plan. She will help communicate your wishes and expectations with your care team.
Childbirth and parenting classes: Beaumont offers comprehensive education and support programs for expecting parents, new parents, siblings and other family members. Some classes are even offered online for those who are unable to make it in person. Women scheduled to deliver in the Karmanos Center for Natural Birth will be encouraged to take our Natural Birth Workshop. Learn more.
myBeaumont Baby online: There’s no denying that pregnancy, especially labor and delivery, is tough work. That’s why it’s important to know what’s going on with you and your baby while you prepare for your little one’s big arrival. myBeaumontBaby online has the tools and information you need to learn about the various stages of pregnancy, prepare your body for labor and delivery by eating right and exercising, and track your experience from conception through pregnancy. Sign up today.
The most advanced obstetrical care
Beaumont’s comprehensive obstetric offerings span the pregnancy and childbirth experience from preconception care to parenting classes and beyond. Many Beaumont obstetricians support a natural birth experience and can help you prepare for your baby’s arrival.
- advanced medical care from leading obstetricians, midwives, nurses, gynecologists, pediatricians and neonatologists
- pediatric care and a state-certified neonatal intensive care unit for premature and critically ill newborns
- post-natal care, breastfeeding and lactation support services, and an award-winning Parenting Program
- prenatal services including a Reproductive Genetics Program, Comprehensive High Risk Pregnancy Program, ultrasound and advanced fetal imaging, and community classes
When you’re in labor
When you arrive, please park in the South Parking Deck and enter the hospital through the South Entrance. Proceed to the Karmanos Birth Center on the third floor. You and your family will be taken back to the Karmanos Center for Natural Birth upon arrival.