Beaumont's Vision Rehabilitation provides personalized treatment to optimize the individual's visual skills, and maximize safety and independence with daily activities.
The Occupational Therapists collaborate with physicians specializing in visual rehabilitation to provide comprehensive assessment and training to help the patient regain an optimal level of function. The frequency and duration of treatment is determined by medical necessity based on the patient's condition.
Treatment integrates visual motor, visual spatial and visual perceptual skills to improve function and safety in daily activities. Family/care partners education is included in treatment. Prescriptions are accepted from optometrists, ophthalmologists and medical doctors.
Support Groups Related to Vision Rehab
- Vision Support Group at the Beaumont Eye Institute (Royal Oak)
Pediatric Vision Rehabilitation is offered at Beaumont Health Center and West Bloomfield Medical Office Building.
- Brain tumor
- Cerebral palsy
- CVA (stroke)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Traumatic and acquired brain injuries
- Other conditions causing visual impairments
Coverage from most major insurance companies is accepted, but therapy coverage depends on individual benefits.
- Reduce symptoms, such as: headaches, blurred vision, double vision, dizziness, squinting, tearfulness and suppression
- Improve fixation, scanning, tracking, saccadic fixation, convergence insufficiency, and accommodative skills necessary for daily tasks (i.e., reading/writing)
- Less losing one's place or skipping lines while reading or writing
- Relieve squinting or closing one eye to perform functional tasks
- Reduce head/body tilting while performing table-top tasks
- Enhance performance with near/far tasks (i.e., copying from the board)
- Enhance reading/writing endurance
- Enhance skills for depth perception deficits
- Improve automaticity (processing speed) and rhythm necessary for smooth reading/writing skills
- Enhance body awareness, balance and coordination
- Improve laterality and directionality skills impacting recognition of letter reversals
- Rehabilitation Services and Programs
- Adult Rehabilitation
- Centers and Locations
- Insurance Coverage
- Men's Services
- Services and Benefits
- Speech and Language
- Women’s Services
- Children's Rehabilitation
- Geriatric Rehabilitation
- Adult Rehabilitation