Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care

Recognized by Michigan law, this document describes your wishes for treatment if you are unable to express them.

Under this law, you have the right to designate another person, or patient advocate, to make decisions for you. Your patient advocate will work with your physician and health care team to make the same kinds of decisions you would make for yourself.

Your advocate must be:

  • At least 18 years old
  • Someone you trust
  • Available quickly when needed
  • Willing to accept the responsibility of making decisions on your behalf

With your authorization, your advocate can:

  • Access and authorize release of information from your medical records
  • Hire and discharge health care providers and pay them from your funds
  • Give informed consent or informed refusal for medical and mental health treatment on your behalf
  • Authorize the withholding or withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment, which could then allow you to die
  • Donate your organs, tissues or body for transplantation, research or education

If you don't have a durable power of attorney for health care and are unable to communicate your health care wishes, Beaumont physicians and staff will consider all available information and will look for the nearest next of kin to make decisions.

Preparing a Durable Power of Attorney
You do not need to contact an attorney to prepare a durable power of attorney. Forms are available from several sources, including Beaumont Patient Registration. Call 248-898-5011 or download the form.

Living Wills
Living wills let you state in writing the health care treatment you would want if you become terminally ill or permanently unconscious. Unlike durable Power of attorney for healthcare, living wills do not name anyone to make decisions for you. No specific Michigan law recognizes or defines the form, content or permissible scope of a living will.

Beaumont recognizes that a living will made by a competent adult should be honored when it has been appropriately written and executed. If you are unsure of how to fill out your living will, consult an attorney and/or physician.