Beaumont Hospital, Dearborn Pharmacy department provides comprehensive pharmacy services for 650+ inpatients and outpatients.
The Beaumont Healthcare System utilizes EPIC as their EMR. Pharmacists verify orders entered via CPOE in EPIC for appropriateness of drug, dose, and route as well as screening for allergies and drug-drug interactions. Additionally, the pharmacist coordinates drug product selection and formulary utilization. The pharmacy has a full USP <797>-compliant clean room for sterile product preparation as well as a chemotherapy sterile preparation area. Select injectable medications are prepared by an IV “robot” from Intellifill. Decentralized drug distribution is facilitated via Pyxis automated dispensing cabinets located throughout the hospital.
Pharmacists provide services to a neonatal intensive care unit, women and children’s unit, operating room, emergency room, and observation unit. Additionally, pharmacists care for patients in critical care areas such as cardiothoracic, medical-surgical, coronary care and neurologic, cath and ambulatory oncology, internal medicine and infectious disease clinics.
Decentralized pharmacists provide clinical pharmacy services including
- antimicrobial stewardship
- criteria monitored antibiotics
- daily review of appropriate dose and indication of broad-spectrum antibioics
- anticoagulation services
- consult service for dosing of warfarin and IV direct thrombin inhibitors
- warfarin patient education
- daily monitoring for safe use of target-specific systemic anticoagulants
- pharmacokinetic Services
- dosing and daily monitoring of vancomycin and aminoglycosides
- dose adjustments for renal impairment
- heart failure patient counseling
- IV to PO program
- oncology services
- rounding in 2 outpatient clinics and a dedicated inpatient unit
- patient education
- chemotherapy dose review
- chemotherapy preparation
- core measure and miscellaneous pharmacy services support including surgical antibiotic prophylaxis selection, medication reconciliation among psychiatric and surgical patients, acute myocardial infarction (AMI), heart failure, stroke, and immunizations
- code blue participation