Six days (48 hours) of classroom instruction will be followed by a 52-hour, hands-on externship in the hospital and clinical settings.
Lectures and discussions will cover the following plus many more topics
- pathophysiology of cancer
- cancer stages
- common cancer treatments
- cancer medications
- side effects
- mind-body-spirit connection
- recent research proving efficacy of therapeutic massage on cancer symptoms
- working with the terminally ill patients
- scar work
- lymphedema signs and symptoms
- working in a hospital setting
- two days of hands-on training
Externship hours are highly supervised and may be completed within three months of classroom work. These hours can be arranged around your schedule. The student will work directly with patients in infusion centers, medical short stay, hospice, pediatrics, as well as oncology patients, medical patients and caregivers being treated with full body massages in our clinical office.