Breast Cancer Statistics
Statistics on breast cancer:
Consider the following statistics related to breast cancer:
- Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in women. American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates for 2008 include 184,450 new cases of invasive breast cancer being diagnosed in the US. In addition, carcinoma in situ will be responsible for 67,770 new cases this year. Of these, 85 percent will be ductal carcinoma in situ.
- In 2008, it is estimated that 1,990 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Year 2008 estimates include 40,930 deaths occurring from breast cancer in the US alone - this includes approximately 40,480 women and 450 men.
- According to ACS, the breast cancer death rate in the US is falling by about two percent per year, since 1990.
- Breast cancer ranks second among cancer deaths in women after lung cancer.
- Regardless of age, African-American women have the highest breast cancer mortality rates.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Breast Health